Gawain & the
Knight and Pearl
Techniques / Essays
Changes & Old
A Bibliography of Twentieth Century Alliterative Verse
- W.H. Auden
- 1930 "The Wanderer" ( loose trans.)
in W.H. Auden: Collected Poems,
Edward Mendelson, ed. Faber and Faber,
- 1947 The Age of Anxiety: A Baroque Eclogue
Random House, New York.
- 1967 "City Without Walls",
and "Prologue at Sizty".
Originally appeared in City Without Walls and Other Poems.
(New York, Random House.)
Reprinted In W.H. Auden,
- 1969 "Anthem", in Epistle to a Godson & Other Poems,
New York: Random House.
Reprinted in W.H. Auden,
- Henry Beard
- 1994 "Beocat", in Poetry for Cats: The Definitive Anthology
of Feline Verse.
Random House, Villard Books, New York.
- Frederick Chappell
- 1978 "My Grandfathers Church Goes Up",
in Bloodfire: A Poem. Baton Rouge:
Louisiana State University Press.
- Richard Eberhart
- 1949 Brotherhood of Men
Pawlet, Vermont: the Banyan Press.
- Ezra Pound
- 1911 "The Seafarer," (loose trans.)
New Age 10.5 (Nov. 30, 1911): 107.
In Ripostes of Ezra Pound (London: Ovid Press, 1912): 25-30.
- 1917 "Canto I", in Pound, Ezra. The Cantos of Ezra Pound.
New York: New Directions, 1972.
- John Heath-Stubbs
- 1973 Artorius
Enitharmion Press, London
- Daniel G. Hoffman
- 1960 "The Coming of Robin Hood," in A Little Geste and Other Poems,
Oxford University Press, New York.
Library of Congress Catalog Number 60-13208
- Ted Hughes
- 1957 "Hawk in the Rain", in The Hawk in the Rain
New York: Harper
- George Johnston
- 198? "A Marriage Poem for Nora and Jamie,"
and "Eastward" in Ask Again,
reprinted in Endeared by Dark: The Collected Poems,
The Porcupine's Quill, Erin, Ontario
- 1990 "Crows' Nests in Court Metres",
"Solomon's Acrostic" also published in Endeared by Dark
- C. Day Lewis
- 1931 "As one who wanders into old workings,"
In Collected Poems of C. Day Lewis,
ed. Jonathan Cape, The Hogarth Press
Reprinted in the Faber Book of Modern Verse,
London: Faber & Faber, 1982.
- C.S. Lewis
- 1935 "We were talking of dragons" and "The Planets",
in "The Alliterative Metre", Lysistrata, vol. II, 1935
Reprinted in C.S. Lewis: Selected Literary Essays,
Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1969 (SBN 5221 07441 X)
- 1969 "The Nameless Isle" (posthumous)
In C.S. Lewis: Narrative Poems,
Harcourt, Brace & Company,
San Diego/New York/London
- John Myers Myers
- 1949 "The Death of Bowie Gizzardsbane", in Silverlock.
Ace Books, New York.
- Carter Revard
- 1993 "A Trinity Riddle",
"The Swan's Song",
and "Birch Canoe", in
An Eagle Nation:
Tucson: University of Arizona Press
(ISBN 0816513554 B97)
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- 1953 "The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorthelm's Son" in
The Tolkien Reader, Ballantine Books, New York. (ISBN 0-345-34506-1
First published in Essays and Studies for 1953, The English Association
- 1954 from Lord of the Rings (George Allen & Unwin)
The Prophecy of the Paths of the Dead,
Eomer's Battle Song,
Fangorn's Lore of Living Creatures,
The Riding of the Rohirrim,
Riders of Theoden,
Song of the Mounds of Mundberg,
Riding Song of the Rohirrim,
- 1985 "The Lay of the Children of Hurin", in The Lays of Beleriand (posthumous)
Houghton Mifflin. Reprinted 1994 by Ballantine Books, New York.
- Richard Wilbur
- 1961 "Junk", in Advice to a Prophet and Other Poems,
reprinted in Richard Wilbur: Collected Poems,
Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, San Diego, New York, London.
- 1969 "The Lilacs", in Walking to Sleep: New Poems and Translations,
reprinted in Richard Wilbur: Collected Poems.